Did you know that QR codes were made for inventory? In the early 1990s, Japanese developers released the QR code in response to merchants’ requests for more inventory-tracking data than a barcode contains. So, although QR codes are famous for giving quick access to a website, their origin is actually in inventory. In this article, we’ll cover how QR codes can be used to help streamline your inventory management practices.
Can I Use QR Codes for Inventory?
Yes! QR codes are ideal for inventory tracking. A single QR code holds more than 7,000 numbers—or 4,000 alphanumeric characters. The storage capacity of a QR code far exceeds the limitations of its predecessor—a one-dimensional barcode that holds 20 characters. You’ll have better, faster data for inventory management.
Experience the simplest inventory management software.
How to Use QR Codes for Inventory Management
You can start by creating a list of products, assets, equipment, processes, or services that you want to track with QR codes. And follow the steps below:
- Determine the label sizes you need for your products or services
- Create QR codes
- Print and test QR code labels
- Scan the codes into inventory management software
Free Ebook: Supplies & Materials Tracking
- Discover the three methods to track and manage inventory
- Get actionable tips and best practices for inventory tracking
- Learn how to track and maintain an inventory list
Creating and printing QR codes
With the Sortly inventory app, you can easily scan, create, and print custom QR codes right from your phone. A good inventory software can help you seamlessly generate QR codes and use them for inventory right away.
Alternately, you can find an online QR code generator that creates codes for inventory and is compatible with a variety of devices. You’ll also need a quality barcode printer and durable labels. Instead of entering all your products in a QR code generator, start with a sample. If you decide that a QR code generator doesn’t meet your needs, you’ll want to test a different one. Use your list of products or services to complete the following steps:
- Follow the prompts in the QR code generator and enter details about your products or services.
- Customize the details as needed.
- Download the QR code, print it, and scan it to test for speed and accuracy. You can use a handheld scanner or a QR code reader app on your mobile device.
- Print labels for a variety of items, apply them to your products and scan them as a quality check.
As you can see, using inventory management software with built-in QR code technology can really streamline the process, but it’s still possible to do it manually with a little know-how. Learn more about how to implement a barcode system for your inventory.
Using Inventory Software for QR Code Inventory Management
The easiest way to use QR codes for inventory is to select inventory management software that uses QR technology. You can easily track and analyze inventory. In a single scan, you’ll upload more details than a barcode provides and spend less time on manual entries for customization. There are other advantages of using QR codes for inventory management, including:
- Create and print custom QR codes
- Conveniently scan with a mobile device
- Get real-time data that’s easy to sort, filter, and categorize
- Receive stock alerts or date reminders related to your inventory
- Manage your inventory across multiple business locations from your desktop, laptop, tablet, iPad, or mobile device
- Share access with other users and set access permissions
Before you choose inventory management software, list the problems you need it to solve. Some of the software capabilities many businesses look for include:
- Compatible with operating systems and devices used by your business
- Upgrades to grow with your business
- Functions across multiple business locations
Want to start using QR codes for inventory? Start a free trial of Sortly today.
Download Sortly free on iOS and Android: